Monday, July 03, 2006

Deep thoughts once again...

My thoughts always seem to run deepest when fuelled by wine...(I was trying to make an analogy in my head about a river of wine but it just didn't really work out...)

I have seen An Inconvenient Truth this evening, and at 1:29am I should be in bed but my mind is absolutely reeling. I don't even know where to begin, so I will probably just ramble for a while.
Gore used the term "moral imperative" in his presentation that was then turned into a film. He used it in relation to the climate change crisis that people can no longer deny is taking place. It's easy to try to sweep it under the rug or hide it in the back of the closet and pretend it isn't there like so many other problems people don't deal with in our day-to-day lives all the way through to administrations (not) dealing with issues on a global level.

It's easy to think that a quick trip to the market in the car won't make any difference, or that an appetite for new electronics won't make a dent in the health of the planet.

A moral imperative is an ethical responsibility and to that end it is my hope that more people will decide that not only is action (on environmental and other issues) in their power, but that they will do it not because it is popular to do so or because their friends are doing it, but for the very reason that it is the right thing to do.

I love the saying that a true measure of a man (or person) is what he would do if he knew no-one was watching, and it has never been more meaningful to me than now, when I am contemplating these matters.

So many people visit our web site every day, from such far-off and unknown (to me) places as Riga, Latvia and Maribor, Slovenia. How I would love to find a 34-year-old woman there and talk to her about the issues that keep her awake at night.

It's nearing 2am and I am hoping I am not the only one in the world, restless and wondering...what can I do? How can I make a difference? How can I help?

I suppose that's partly why we decided to start this little t-shirt line. Seems like a stretch, I know. But Angela and I are women of action...and when we come up with an idea, nothing can stop us from running with it. So that's one reason, the purely entrepreneurial one.

The other, the politically-motivated one, was a very valid and real one.

Sometimes we foolishly wish for things like fame and fortune without truly understanding the consequences such visibility could have in our lives and those of our loved ones. It must be a miserable existence to be able to afford to do and have everything you have ever wanted in life, but to live under a microscope, with everything you eat, drink, wear, drive, DO...examined and picked apart thoroughly.

Thank goodness for those who realize the power of the attention that their lives command, and the strength and intelligence to use it for the greater good. The sacrifices they make, though on the surface looking so confident in their popularity, riches and sophistication, are immense.

Do we want Clooney to run for President? Is there any chance he would do such a thing? We don't know. We wanted to make him think about it, and his fans think about it, and the world think about it, and talk about it.

The world would be a lot safer and cleaner a place if you-know-who (the other George) had not been falsely ushered into office and though the idea of Clooney running for President is a long-shot, we must at the very least let people who recognize the moral imperative and act upon it, know that we see what they are doing, that we appreciate it greatly, and that they do indeed speak for those of us with a smaller voice.

Miss (all wined up and no place to go) Tamara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home